“Be bold enough to use your voice, brave enough to listen to your heart, and strong enough to live the life you have always imagined.” – Unknown
I want you to realise that no matter what, you’ll strive to live the life you desire with passion and enthusiasm.
What do Michael Jordan, Colonel Saunders, J.K. Rowling, and Oprah Winfrey have in common? They all beat the odds to achieve their career goals despite adverse circumstances, lack of resources, other people’s lack of support or faith in them, abuse and financial obstacles.
They didn’t quit.
How do you know when to cut your losses or when to stay the course? What is the difference between beating a dead horse and perseverance? You’ve set your sights on a goal and determinedly pursued it.
But you are not seeing the results you were expecting. You’re at the point where you are trying to decide if this is a temporary defeat and you should continue on in faith, but doubt is creeping in that maybe you are barking up the wrong tree.
Whether you are deciding to keep fishing a particular spot on the lake, or whether to stay in an unhappy marriage hoping things will change, the decision about how or if you should persevere is one of the hardest decisions to make in the human experience. When do we call it quits?
Only you can decide when you need to change direction or change tactics. Only you know what is right to invest time and energy in a career endeavour or relationship that isn’t working. The key is in doing something different, not quitting. Your success is imminent as long as you don’t give up. For those who want to find a great partner, there is someone for everyone except for the person who gives up.
In those moments of frustration and doubt, when you’ve worked hard for success but only see evidence to the contrary, consider the following points to persevere.
“Don’t you ever get the feeling that all your life is going by and you’re not taking advantage of it? Do you realize you’ve lived nearly half the time you have to live already?” ― Ernest Hemingway
- Step away and regroup: Taking a break can lead to a breakthrough. A change in your perspective unleashes creative thinking.
- Call in reinforcements: Seek counsel. Consult a professional. Seek guidance from a mentor. Get advice from an expert. Ask someone you hold in high regard for their opinion.
- Redefine your goal: Do you want to be happy in your current job, or have a rewarding career? Don’t give up on your goal of having a happy marriage. It may just be that you need to have a happy marriage with someone else.
- Pace yourself: You are much more prone to quitting if you are exhausted. Maintain a healthy balance in your life.
- Take baby steps: When you are feeling overwhelmed and frustrated, take one baby step toward your goal per day and you will keep your momentum.
- Surrender to Life: Live Life on Life’s terms. Don’t spend your energy trying to swim against the tide. Go with the Flow. This means being flexible in your thinking. Life is efficient. As you move two steps forward and one step back, realise there are no mistakes. That one step back is your biggest gift because it provides knowledge and experience needed to attain your goal. Pursue your passion but don’t be rigid in how you will achieve success. Rather than resist what appears to be a dead end, embrace it as a blessed detour. Allow Life to open doors and show you ways to achieve your dreams that never occurred to you. Surrender is not giving up. It is part of the process. It is a state of allowing. Your ability to persist is not possible without your ability to allow.
So continue to follow your heart. Believe in yourself and your dreams. Keep the faith. Anything is possible and miracles happen every day. Know that goals are not meant to be reached in a straightforward fashion. Some of the greatest discoveries and inventions resulted from divine “mistakes.” Progress is often made via a zig zag toward your goal.
The universe is aligned for the attainment of our purpose and passion.
We should enjoy the journey.
If you're looking for motivation to achieve your goals and dreams in 2021, my latest e-Book: TRIUMPH: The Art Of Overcoming Challenges, To Achieve Your Goals And Dreams, will help you to stay motivated to achieve them. Available now via Amazon.
Need Motivation This Year?